Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Installation Project 1 - Ellis



I rethought my concept about the globe after Michael Beitz asked me if I really thought the world was going down the toilet. I don't really think the world is going down the drain; I believe it is the headlines that we are inundated with on a daily basis that tell us it is so. Therefore, I chose to install my piece in front of one of the large 'front page' posters on the wall surrounding The Charlotte Observer's building in uptown Charlotte. I used a copper spiral (natural element) to connect the globe (symbolizing the world) with a toilet seat (symbolizing the drain). I toyed with adding actual headlines along the spiral, both wrapped or hanging as Tibetan prayer flags, but found that nothing was added to the final piece by doing so. The piece remained installed until the steadily increasing wind started to blow it over. Fitting, I suppose, as I caught the installation and 'saved' it. So...my final message is this: WE can 'catch' the world and save it from ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment